Friday, July 16, 2004

The Wee Hours

I've ceased fighting my early morning wakefulness. It's pointless to fight it, really. And part of me, maybe a large part, likes the quiet, dark time when I can turn on Tinfoil Hat Radio and fire up my G4 so I can read in peace.

This morning I found these tidbits at Counterpunch. I try to get to Counterpunch once a week, if I remember. There's good middle-of-the-night reading there. Here are just two examples:

Trail of the Comet A Gathering of the World's Poets Against War, by poet Janine Pommy Vega. Oh, to be in Tuscanny writing poetry! I need a bumper sticker that says that. ;-)

And from an English prof from La Verne, California: If Dante Knew of Bush and the Neo-Cons..., by William A. Cook. I am always fascinated by "Dante-esque" analyses. A small quote:

"But in which circle of Hell do they belong? The Opportunists, those souls that lived without regard for good or evil but only for themselves, certainly described the reality of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Perle, Feith, Wolfowitz, Libby and the whole crew at the American Enterprise Institute and the Project for the New American Century, but they were housed in The Inferno in the Vestibule experiencing only the sting of wasps and hornets as they run round and round through the dirt infested air, their bodies flowing with the putrid smell of pus and blood feasted upon by worms and maggots, hardly, I confess, an adequate retribution for their crimes. After all, Dante understood the wasps and hornets to image a guilty conscience, but these men have no guilty conscience, indeed they have no conscience at all. I decided to withhold judgment."


Dawn is breaking here on the Left Coast. TGIF and happy reading. ;-)