Tuesday, July 27, 2004

The Aftermath

This is perhaps the most important soapbox rant of my entire life. How's that for front-loading a thread? It can't be helped. It's the truth. This morning I listened to an interview with the Lucey family on "Democracy Now". Their son, Kevin, returned from his tour of duty in Iraq, and after a fairly rapid decline in functioning committed suicide at home. He joined the US Marine Corps because he said he wanted the training and money for college. This transcript with the parents of Kevin also includes comments from someone from Military Families Speak Out, and from the newly formed Iraq Veterans Against the War.

I suppose it is enough that you read it without any other commentary from me. My particular overlook on the subject is not a secret. We can talk more about it if you like.

Your premium party favor for reading the transcript is:

Dissent Is Now Dangerous, by Stephen Laffoley.
"Youth is the first victim of war; the first fruit of peace. It takes 20 years or more of peace to make a man; it takes only 20 seconds of war to destroy him."
Baudouin I of Belgium