Saturday, July 17, 2004

Bush: "God speaks through me."

And if the Good Lord speaketh a pre-emptive launch from a Trident submarine? You fill in the blanks.

But then, this entire story kind of illustrates how George Bush has cultivated his "everyman" persona, even if it's a million miles away from the truth:

The president commented on the appearance of Amish farms, and an Amish man spoke apologetically about how he and his friends were not expecting to see the president and were wearing soiled work clothes. Bush said he did not mind that.

Another man remarked that he has twin daughters, as does Bush. The man said one of his twins had dreamed the night before that she was shaking hands with the president and now she actually had done that...

At the end of the session, Bush reportedly told the group, "I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn’t do my job."
Via Body and Soul (which has a great article on how Kerry should work the "faith meme") and Political Wire.