Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"That's one small step for man, One giant leap for Mankind."

I live on the Space Coast. From my balcony I can see the launches of satellites and creepy military things we don't know much about. It would be remiss if I didn't remember here the moon landing 35 years ago. We had a black and white TV, and for once we didn't envy the neighbors, as that's how it came through. I'm not sure folks today who didn't live through that can fully appreciate the awe we felt on July 20, 1969. Perhaps in percentages of Americans, it must have been the most watched TV event ever.

But the space program was an intimate part of our lives. It was launched by a charismatic President who charged the dreams of America. Perhaps Reagan is the only President since who could make America as a whole believe in itself more than Jack Kennedy could. The space program even ad a sitcom about it, "I Dream of Jeannie." Oh, it was misogynist and all, but I was a boy! That costume ROCKED! And those guys, who were so funny and all, actually went to SPACE! Odd that I've relocated in the last couple years to the Space Coast of Florida, 500 yards down the road from "I Dream Of Jeannie Lane."

Now we have a JFK again, and a Reagan wannabe who wants to propose a new launch to the moon. But he remains a monkeyboy, unwilling to pay for it.

How strange the passing of time, yet it circles back.