Monday, January 17, 2005

Joe Bageant: Not Just for the Wee Hours

He's perhaps my favorite read these days. Five or six years older than me, and to my mind an ideal sort of black sheep radical older brother.

You can find his downloadable (pdf) essays here: Writing Worth Reading, at Coldtype.net

Tonight I found his piece on the extermination of the '60s and by association, The Enlightenment, Lafayette Park Blues
Excerpt: "America: When we first stepped onto this playground of the national soul together, I truly believed you were not a bully, that you were the protector of queers and thick-tongued immigrants and laboring spiritual hoboes like me. I have tossed down your dreams straight from the bottle with no chaser, then bought a round for the house, because this is the goddam land of the free where even a redneck boy from Virginia can dream the dreams of bards, call himself a writer then walk away from dark ancestral ghosts to actually become one.

I believed it all, America. And I still fall for it if I let my guard down. Just like the abused wife who believes she will not be punched again for that thousand and first time ..."

Barkeep! Another round for the house.