Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Flag Burning

No, it's not what you think.

Sometimes, when I'm just doing mindless, random blog surfing and link hopping, things just pop out of the blogosphere that surprise me. I ran into one of those tonight at a brand newbie blog, Wyld Card.

The proprietor of the blog, Wyld, did a poignant little writeup on a flag retirement ceremony he attended this past weekend. I've been to a few of those over the years (admittedly, it's been awhile), but never had the meaning of the ceremony explained in quite such a lucid manner. The entire post can be found here, but allow me to quote the last paragraph:

We do, however, need to work on the ideals that the flag stands for. The red stripes are well represented, as there is no shortage of blood shed by patriots. But if we take the white stripes (purity) and the union (unity) out of the equation, we’'re left with nothing but a Red Flag. And anyone who's ever been involved in running a business should understand what that implies.

That's what I love about blogging -- there's always something new out there that makes me reflect. It's well worth a read, and I've already emailed it to president@whitehouse.gov for review prior to the coronation tomorrow. Check it out.

Update, 11:59PM - here's another one of those "random blog finds" that is thought provoking, in a Condoliar-hilarious sort of way.