Monday, January 10, 2005

Get Your Death Squads Here

OK, the Blogosphere has been hot on the subject, but I can hardly bring myself to address it, perhaps because of some dead nuns. I'm not Catholic, and I'm not even especially religious, but it offends me that our country had a part in arming the El Salvador Death Squads that killed those nuns. Two of them were Maryknoll nuns, members of the order that runs the University of Notre Dame. At the time I was dating a Notre Dame weekend. I'd just visited during that season of death in El Salvador, attended a basketball game and even danced with Digger Phelps' wife.

On December 2, 1980, members of the National Guard of El Salvador intercepted the van carrying four American churchwomen as they were leaving the international airport in San Salvador. Maryknoll Sisters Ita Ford and Maura Clark, Ursuline Sister Dorothy Kazel, and lay missioner Jean Donovan were taken to an isolated spot where they were shot dead at close range.

We should never forget that our government taught these folks their tactics, and it is some of the same members of our government who are suggesting that we start the same Death Squad Strategy in Iraq. John Negroponte was involved with our Central America policy back then.

Yo, Richard! You got more Yuengling? I gotta get this taste out of my mouth!