Sunday, December 05, 2004

Rapture Index

Thanks (I think) to Roxanne @ Rox Populi for introducing me to The Rapture Index. I've spent a bit of time going through the site, and it's, well ... it just is. Weird.

In the 1/2 hour or so that I spent on Rapture Ready (time well spent or a waste of time?), I vacillated between thoughts of "Lampoon", "Onion", and "Old Testament". Fundies with a sense of humor about Armageddon. Who'da thunk it. While these folks don't appear to take themselves too seriously, there's obviously a snarko-religious orientation to the site, as evidenced by their disclaimer...

Several people have asked me if they could reproduce articles found on this web page. I always say, "Yes of course." In fact, readers may disseminate this information via mail, e-mail, airmail, oral conversation, billboards, carrier pigeons, pony express, smoke signals; by means of telephone, television, telegraph, teletype; through Braille, sign language, placing messages in bottles, drum beats, books, CD's, radio, and telepathy for you New Age folks. If the rapture should take place, resulting in my absence, it will become necessary for tribulation saints to mirror or financially support this site.

And this, in the Timeline of the United States:

1637: Ann Hutchison who is preaching that good works is not what gets you into heaven and that men can be directly spoken to by God is banned from Massachusetts Bay. She will be killed by Indians in 1643, which the Puritans consider divine intervention.

If you get hooked on clicking around Rapture Ready (as I quickly did), make absolutely certain that you hit the FAQ's and the Who's Who of Prophecy. To invoke a tired old progressive saying, "you can't make this shit up".

I owe you, Roxanne. And I'm left wondering, does General J.C. Christian know about Rapture Ready?

(By the way, the "Rapture Index" is currently at 155, which translates to: Rapture Index above 145: Fasten your seat belts.)