Thursday, June 03, 2004

From Life's Little Soundtrack:

It was the 3rd of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day.

Yep. It was today, June 3, 1967. I was three weeks shy of my 15th birthday, and far from Mississippi, when Bobbie Gentry hit the charts with 'Ode to Billie Joe'. My dear husband Mr. Keys has one of those idetic minds for dates in his life. It's almost spooky. He was also three weeks from 15. For many popular songs of the 60s, he can tell you the date he first heard it, where he was, who he was with, and what they were doing. (The booger! LOL)

Despite receiving a few "worst songs ever" awards in the decades since, "Ode to Billie Joe" received four Grammys in 1967, (three of them for Bobbie Gentry, one for the arranger), and the song was #1 on Billboard for four weeks. If I had an FTP server, I'd upload it so you could have a listen... just Google for it or buy it from iTunes.

Sometimes nostalgia is all it's cracked up to be.