Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Ok, I've Got a Beef

Driving into work this morning, I was listening to the local "all news" radio station. Their lede at the top (and bottom) of the hour was, "Despite panning reviews, Bill Clinton's new book, My Life, hits the street today. The New York Times book critic said, 'eye-crossingly boring'..." And, of course, the host delivered the piece in the snarkiest tone possible. Then, the station proceeded to a local report from Borders where people were lined up to buy the book, even though the store didn't open for two full hours.

Huh?

Ok, so the book may stink. Don't know. Haven't read it. But I'm getting sick of this particular "all news station" in an urban area being decidedly slanted toward the conservative side. The whole point of the lede was simply to frame the book (and the former president) as badly as possible.

How did I get all of that out of a two sentence lede? Because I know the station and their editorial slant. Their ombudsman will be receiving a testily worded email later today, because I've had it with them.