Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Talking Around an Issue

I've talked around this issue for the past day or so - the case of Jeremy Hinzman, a soldier who fled to Canada rather than return to Iraq. In the comments to a previous posting, I said I was somewhat conflicted about Hinzman's plight.

Many readers are aware that I'm a veteran. And maybe it's because I was brought up in a military background, but the bottom line is that when I enlisted, I knew what the deal was - Uncle owned my body and soul for the term of my enlistment.

True, recruiting methods have changed a lot since the day I signed up. Military recruiters have always been on a "quota" system to maintain their positions (which are, truth be told, rather cushy as military service goes). The enticements which are being dangled in front of recruits these days are most assuredly being sugar coated, but that doesn't change the fact that even if a potential recruit is only 18, that person has an inherent responsibility for knowing what they're getting into. The concept of youthful ignorance can't apply to a decision as life-altering as joining the service.

So again, I'm conflicted. I hate this goddamn war and what it's doing to our young men and women, as well as the Iraqi people. You can read through Hinzman's website and draw your own conclusions. While on one hand I'm sympathetic toward his cause, he's violated the terms of his contract, and those terms carry certain consequences. He wasn't conscripted. He joined voluntarily. I'm not even going to get into discussing the aspects of his latter day Quaker "conversion". I'll leave that to our august group of ASZ kibbutzers. ;-)

Anyway, here's a story that is just being reported. This is not new stuff -- it's getting out there because of the Hinzman case in Canada. But to actually know about this stuff, it was necessary to be paying attention. These types of incidents have been reported all along (although quickly dropped as the press moved onto the next big thing...)

US Marine claims unit killed Iraqi civilians.:

A former US Marine said his unit killed more than 30 innocent Iraqi civilians in just two days, in graphic testimony to a Canadian tribunal probing an asylum claim by a US Army deserter.

Former Marine Sergeant Jimmy Massey appeared as a witness to bolster claims by fugitive paratrooper Jeremy Hinzman that he walked out on the 82nd Airborne Division to avoid being ordered to commit war crimes in Iraq.

Mr Hinzman, 26, claims he would face persecution if sent home to the United States, in a politically charged case which could set a precedent for at least two other US deserters seeking asylum in Canada.

Mr Massey told Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) that men under his command in the 3rd battalion, 7th Marines, killed '30 plus' civilians within 48 hours while on checkpoint duty in Baghdad..."
Like I said, not new news, but perhaps spun in a way this time that people will actually pay attention. Then again, the whole Hinzman saga has received absolutely zero play in the U.S. media.

Ok, I'm finished rambling. Fire when ready. ;-)