Thursday, June 03, 2004

National Hunger Awareness Day

Darn - and I was just getting ready to head for bed, finally, after yesterday's busy news cycle. But lest I forget, today is National Hunger Awareness Day. I could spread a lot of sappy words here, but I won't because it's late, and my shallow words wouldn't do the topic justice even if I was fully awake. For more information on how you can get involved in your community, click on the plate in the left menu. I'll be spending part of my day at an event marking this occasion at a local university.

Believe it or not, even in our bountiful country, millions of people go to bed hungry every night. And I'm not talking about the homeless, the drug addled, or others on the fringes of society. A vast majority of the folks fitting the USDA's "food insecure" profile are just like you: proud, working class folks struggling to pay the bills in Dubya's "robust economy". And they're sneaking down to the local food pantry during the week to put food on the table.

So, if you can help out, please do. A monetary donation to America's Second Harvest, or contribution of food, money, or your time to your local food pantry can go further and help more people than you would ever imagine.

To change the world we live in, start with your little scrap of the planet.