Thursday, November 04, 2004

The Zen of Soup Cooking

Almost as good as eating it ...
I've just finished cooking the stock, chopping the vegetables and seasoning a big pot of chicken vegetable soup that my husband and I will enjoy for the next three or four days. Aside from the obvious pleasures of tasting and eating, I find the making of soup from scratch (as the saying went from long ago in my family) very centering and calming. The cutting, the mixing. The breathing. All is well. I haven't felt this good in more than two days.

So tonight I'm leaving you with the olfactory memory of the last good soup you tasted, and the recommendation to find "normal", centering, zen-like things to do in order to reenergize yourselves for all that lies ahead.

And of course, you can use this as a new open thread... the sky's the limit... or like my soup...toss in the kitchen sink.