Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Six Degrees: Small World: Slices

"I read somewhere that everybody on this planet is separated by only six other people. Six degrees of separation between us and everyone else on this planet. The President of the United States, a gondolier in Venice, just fill in the names. I find that extremely comforting, that we're so close, but I also find it like Chinese water torture that we're so close because you have to find the right six people to make the connection. It's not just big names -- it's anyone. A native in a rain forest, a Tierro del Fuegan, an Eskimo. I am bound -- you are bound -- to everyone on this planet by a trail of six people. It's a profound thought -- how Paul found us, how to find the man whose son he claims to be, or perhaps is, although I doubt it. How everyone is a new door, opening into other worlds."Ouisa Kitteridge, "Six Degrees of Separation"
Such a day. I've been here at ASZ and other Bloglandia vacation spots reading some, in-between the other slices.

A slice: I had an amazing meeting with the publisher of the local paper, The Observer... And as it turns out, we are probably twin sisters of different mothers. I'm going to do her Web work. She was close to tearing-up once when I mentioned she should also send me the JPGs for the feature articles. She's an amazing artist with huge canvases all over the little house in back of the big house that serves as her home and the newspaper's headquarters. She gave me an "official" Observer mug. She said: "You look so familiar to me."

Another slice: my baby sister is still melting down, and I've begun to take a tougher big sister stance with her. I remain worried. You see, I've been melted down in my life,... and I told her that I thought it was time she stop "ya-butting" me, among other big sisterly things I said. You know about ya-buts? Ya-buts live in the woods... it's a code she and I have... ya-buts look a little like jackalopes. They hop about screaming ya-but, ya-but, ya-but. They can be annoying and distracting for all their furry goodness. I told my sister that I would not permit her to remain paralyzed any longer. Another daily slice on the Happy Planet.

In-between the meeting with the publisher and the call with my sister I watched perhaps one of my all-time favorite films, Six Degrees of Separation. I needed it. I highly recommend it. Google it. It began as a Broadway play based on a true story. It is also linked to the interesting "small world" experiment of Stanley Milgram in the late '60s. Six degrees.

Slice: I saved some "schtuff" for everyone this morning. I was going to do an "Ain't Gonna Study War No More" thread, but I couldn't.

So, I'll just leave you with the slices I saved. Maybe you can make sense of them. Or not.

Slice: Six Degrees. I know this photo's making the rounds in Bloglandia. I present it with no apologies for redundancy.




Slice: Six Degrees. A soldier with his transitional object strapped to his back.






Slice: Six Degrees. The Army's long arm

Slice: Six Degrees. One Woman's View


Slice: Six Degrees. And last but not least, a little purposeful foolery, a bit of "levity" to leaven us all, raise us high enough to slap the hand of a god. abducted! at Fafblog.

Small world. Six Degrees.