Monday, March 21, 2005

One is the loneliest, two's a party, three's a quorum!

Wonderful to see how easy it is to pass laws in our great nation!

Only three members of the 100-member U.S. Senate, however, were present to approve the measure by a voice vote.
When I'm Senator, I will be focusing my energies on improving my capacity for stealthiness, so I too can sneak into chambers and make any law I damn well please, regardless of how idiotic it is. Then those of other parties can sneak around in attempts to thwart my actions. The federal government can become one giant version of Spy vs. Spy!

Also, since state judiciaries have been deemed irrelevant, I can force my stupid ass laws on everyone!

If bills can become law like this, can constitutional amendments be passed as well? Can impeachments be conducted?

Oh wait, the Republicans in question forgot the Constitution, once again. Article I, Section 5, Clause 1 specifically states that a majority of members must be present for business to be conducted.

Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.
This edition of "Republican Constitutional Erosion" brought to you via upyernoz with special thanks to Eschaton.