Tuesday, March 22, 2005

More from the Front of the Refrigerator

Back in 1990 while still kicking ass and taking names...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com In 1990 (although the full page ad from the Orange County Register pictured left is from 1997), I took a six-week course which was at the time called, Model Mugging. I still have the VHS tape of my "graduation" in front of family and friends.

The woman in the photo is not me, but the mugger behind her is the one I learned to take out. The giant head is a padded NFL helmet, and is part of the 75 pounds of padding worn by my "mugger" in the full-contact defense course. The program is now called Impact.

The now-yellowed ad was on the front of my 'fridge for almost eight years to remind me of the experience and the accomplishment of learning to deck the predator and live... it was about learning to know where part of my "power" lived -- in my body. For more about what was and is Model Mugging you can read here: Bamm.org.

In the end I think it all comes down to me (or you) against the mugger. In my weakened condition of late it seems important to remember.