Friday, October 15, 2004

Bush as Norman Bates?

A doozy of a column from a recalcitrant Richard Cohen, who has apparently quit sipping the koolaid:

Where it has mattered most -- the three debates -- Bush has been wooden, ill at ease and downright spooky. He makes bad jokes, cackles at them in the manner of a cinematic serial killer and has lacked the warmth that he not only once had but that I thought would compensate for a disastrous presidency and give him a second -- God help us -- term. In short, he could take over the Bates Motel in an instant.
I've taped all three presidential debates. While I haven't gone back and taken them apart frame-by-frame, it's quite clear that the George Bush we're seeing in late 2004 is not the George Bush who ran for president in 2000. There's a marked physical difference and an absolutely astounding difference in his ability to articulate concepts under duress. I can't put my finger on it, but I hope someone in the medical profession can do so - at this time in history, we can't afford to end up with another second term Ronald Reagan who (we find in retrospect) was almost incapacitated for a large stretch of his second term.