Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Oh My Goodness

How in the hell did I miss this?

Text of Bush speech, 9/28/04:

"In a different kind of war, we had to recognize that we're not facing a nation; we're facing a group of people who have adopted an ideology of hatred and love to find places where they can hide. They're like parasites. They kind of leech on to a host and hope the host weakens over time so they can eventually become the host. That's why I said to the Taliban in Afghanistan: Get rid of al Qaeda; see, you're harboring al Qaeda. Remember this is a place where they trained -- al Qaeda trained thousands of people in Afghanistan. And the Taliban, I guess, just didn't believe me. And as a result of the United States military, Taliban no longer is in existence. And the people of Afghanistan are now free. (Applause.) In other words when you say something as President you better make it clear so everybody understands what you're saying, and you better mean what you say. And I meant what I said. (Applause.)"

I am awestruck. Literally. And I don't mean that in a just-saw-Britney-walking-naked-down-the-street kind of awestruck.

This is wrong (actually, the whole speech is wrong) on so many levels. And I don't mean just morally wrong. Or bullshitting wrong. We're talking fundamental, real world, basic facts wrong.

Fortunately, Team Kerry responds...