Sunday, August 29, 2004

Where in the World is Richard Cranium?


He's somehwere in that crowd. And my but it looks huge. I figured I might recall the marches I've been to. I won't count the riot when I was an undergrad back in the 70's, as that one was about police upset about how big the crowd had gotten at the Shady Rest just west of the Western Michigan University campus. Yeah, I got my first and only sniff of tear gas at a kegger in Kalamazoo.

I've been to a couple other marches. In the late 80's I went to a pro-choice march in Washington. It was one of those things where the crowd was estimated at a million by the organizers and the police said it was 250,000. The mass of humanity was quite impressive. I remember most that my neice and nephew were with us, and they kept getting dehydrated. I don't think we heard even one speech, as we were off looking for water the whole time.

Hmm, maybe that's Richard there? My other memorable march was in 1991. It was the big gay pride parade in New York, and I was marching with my sister. Yeah, I was trapped amongst thousands and thousands of lesbians, many of who had decided to go topless. Nothing memorable really happened that day except I bonded with my sister's new partner, and that's always good.

I guess I posted this in honor of Richard, but also so that some of the readers here could recall some of their experiences. Go to it, folks!