Sunday, May 30, 2004

A Tale Told by an Idiot
(about? near? because of? Still sounds right!)

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow                   
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(Wm. Shakespeare - Macbeth)

At Yahoo News (from Reuters): Bush Keeps Saddam Gun at White House

From the article: "The magazine [Time] quoted a visitor who had been shown the gun, which is kept in a small study off the Oval Office where Bush displays memorabilia. It is the same room where former President Bill Clinton had some of his encounters with former intern Monica Lewinsky."

My first thought upon reading was "Boys and their toys...Ha. Bill had Monica in the study, and Dubya's got Saddam's pistol in there." My next thought was to wonder about the trophy cases of chickenhawks. Finally, I thought, How pathetic.

Poets and playwrights have never failed me in my hours of need. This excerpt from Robert Frost's "Lesson for Today" rings like thunder when thinking of tin gods and demigogs of this year and yesteryears immemorial.

(Frost is addressing the scholars of the Middle Ages)
One age is like another for the soul.
I'm telling you.  You haven't said a thing,
Unless I put it in your mouth to say.
I'm having the whole argument my way -
But in your favor - please to tell your king -
In having granted you all ages shine
With equal darkness, yours as dark as mine.
I'm liberal.  You, you aristocrat,
Won't know exactly what I mean by that.
I mean so altruistically moral
I never take my own side in a quarrel.
I'd lay my hand on his hand on his staff,
Lean back and have my confidential laugh,
And tell him I had read his epitaph.