Friday, May 28, 2004

Spin City

Are you shiite-ing me? I see why they waited until a Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend to drop this bomb.
May 28 - Commerce Secretary Donald L. Evans hailed today’s personal income report: “One year ago today, President Bush signed landmark tax relief that laid the groundwork for America's economic recovery. Today's strong personal income numbers -- the largest monthly increase in six months -- is more proof it's working. Over the last year, take home pay has grown at a faster rate than the averages of the 1970s, 1980s or 1990s. As businesses become more confident, jobs are being created. And as jobs are being created, American workers have more money to care for their families, buy a new home or plan for the future. Alternative proposals to raise taxes would stymie this progress and hurt our workers. President Bush and I are committed to seeing every American worker succeed.”
Think Secy. Evans would crow about my 2% raise this year? When you factor in the increase in my health insurance deductions, my family's spendable income is down by nearly $75 per month.

Lyin' asshats.

How many people do you know who are taking home substantially more this year than last year? Guess we're running with the wrong crowd.

Update, 6/1/04, 12:15PM: And now I guess we know which crowd Don Evans runs with, and why his buddies have seen "strong personal income numbers". If my last name was Yates, I guess my numbers would be up, too...

WASHINGTON - A single New Mexico family and a dozen big oil companies, including one once headed by Commerce Secretary Don Evans, now control one-quarter of all federal lands leased for oil and gas development in the continental United States despite a law intended to prevent such concentration, federal records show.