Saturday, May 15, 2004

She Came In through the Bathroom Window

I'm thinking of one of the patsies in the latest drama. Lynndie England -- in the photos -- leering stupidly -- charged by the military for her stupidity. I'm thinking she is at least seven years younger than my daughter, Becca -- almost 27 -- , who has been married almost three years, and is about to get her BS in psychology and criminology.

Music is in my head tonight. It's always in my head, but tonight the muse struck. The Beatles. "Abbey Road".

"Didn't anybody tell her?
Didn't anybody see?
Sunday's on the phone to Monday,
Tuesday's on the phone to me."


We're talking about a young woman just out of high school and not someone with particularly bright prospects. And now she is the world's representative of the worst of the the US military.

Do you have children? Mine are almost 32 and almost 27 and I think about them EVERY day. I see my daughter for eight hours, three days a week. (we work together) I fought tooth and nail to keep my son out of the army when he was 18. He never went in, even though he fought me every step of the way. I don't think I'm some wonder of a mother. I just knew it was not a good place to go. I wonder about Lynndie's parents, and what they thought about her choice ... her limited choices.

I have no links for you. If you want to see what the US media is doing to Lynndie England you'll have to grab a little search engine queen dust from me and Google some decent key words. It's late, and I hate that the muse chose this hour to give me something to write about. What about when I'm awake at 5 AM fergoodness sakes?

Boy, you gonna carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Boy, you gonna carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time