Tuesday, April 06, 2004



This Just In from Bizzaro World...

From everything I've read and heard, General Pervez Musharraf's tenuous hold on Pakistan is just that - tenuous. A tinder here, a spark there, and Pakistan is a firecoup waiting to happen. The last thing in the world the world needs right now is a Taliban supporting, fundamentalist overthrow of the Pakistani government.

And Pakistani government opposition has indicated that's just what will happen if Musharraf allows U.S. troops to roam inside of Pakistan's borders searching for Osama. So, now the Bush Administration is getting bellicose with Pakistan again - basically, laying down the gauntlet.

Maybe it's just me, but I think we have enough gauntlets in the fire right now, if you know what I mean (so sue me - I felt like mixing my metaphors).

From Voice of America:
Pakistan officials are angrily rejecting criticism by the US ambassador to Afghanistan about Islamabad's anti-terror efforts reports from the Pakistani capital.

US ambassador to Kabul, Zalmay Khalizad, charges that members of the ousted Taleban government and other "hostile groups" are using sanctuaries in Pakistan to create instability in Afghanistan.

In speech in Washington on Monday, he warned that Islamabad must eliminate these forces or the U.S.-led anti-terrorism coalition might send its troops to destroy them...
Update: God, what a pack of weasels...
"Factually, it's true that Pakistan has made a good effort in Waziristan. And as I said before, we applaud them for that, and because Pakistani soldiers died in that operation. So that's positive. But the job is not finished yet, and I don't think the Pakistanis will say the job is done," he said.