Thursday, April 15, 2004



Sleepwalking to Fallujah
"Golden Slumbers fill your eyes.
Smiles awake you when you rise.
Sleep pretty darling, do not cry.
And I will sing a lullabye."


While you're at Online Journal check out the commentary by Joe Bageant. Pleasant dreams...

From the top: "April 14, 2004—Each workday I commute toward Washington, D.C.. along Route 7, where patriotic war slogans are spray painted on the overpasses, and homemade signs jut from the median in support of our "boys in Iraq." Mud-splattered construction trucks rip by with frayed flags popping in the wind, loaded with burly bearded men and looking very much like the footage of Afghanistan or Angola, minus the 50 caliber gun mounts. Yesterday I saw my first stretch Hummer, painted in desert tan and carrying half a dozen soccer mom types, which rather sums up the point I am trying to make here. There is a distinct martial ethos, the tang of steel and the smell of gun oil in the air around Washington these days, I swear it."