Saturday, March 20, 2004



Iraq - One Year Later - Richard's view

Since SpinDentist offered his thoughts on the one year anniversary of the Iraq invasion, I figured I'd offer mine. My spin is based on a question I've seen posed in a dozen different places over the past few days: is Iraq better off than it was 365 days ago? I don't know. Like you, I'm not there, and my opinions are subject to the whims of government and media propaganda (pro and con) just like yours. If I were a betting man (scratch that, I am), I'd say that on the whole things are worse now than before.

Here's a link to one reporter's view that might be of interest to you.

Here's another link to an ongoing journal of someone who's living the "adventure".

Things will get better in Iraq, eventually. It's the natural order of things. The question really becomes, at this point is our continued presence in Iraq helping or hindering? Like the despot who preceded the current occupation authority, I feel we're merely keeping the lid on a powderkeg that will eventually blow anyway.

It occurs to me that controlled detonations still result in things getting blown up.