Monday, August 09, 2004

This is the GOP

It won't take you long to read this article.

Today's Republican Party is not your daddy's GOP.

Keyes, a Maryland resident, doesn't even have a home here yet, but he boomed dramatically: "I have confidence because the victory is for God."

With the fire of a general ordering his troops into the valley of death, Keyes promised "a battle like this nation has never seen," and an ongoing debate unequalled since Lincoln vs. Douglas...

But before Keyes took the stage Sunday to accept the challenge, he had a quick meeting with some of the state's top Republican leaders.

"What do I need to know?'' he asked the group, according to a top Republican source. "I'm the outsider. You tell me. I want to hear -- what do people of this state care about?''
No doubt you've already read the following quote from Keyes to Pat Buchanan, in a Fox interview, March 2000, but it bears repeating:

"I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton’s willingness go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there, so I certainly wouldn't imitate it."