Sunday, August 22, 2004

The Happy Planet Report

... Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.
Marcus Tullius Cicero, statesman, orator and writer (106-43 BCE)

I really wanted to post a piece Saturday and Sunday. I tried ... worked on something off-line about teaching ourselves and our children how to think, how to mitigate Mother Culture's incessant hum, and see and feel and think -- a lot about critical thinking, unschooling. I wanted to write about human potential. I wanted to contribute something positive. I had links. I did. I typed and kept having to shake my head, unable to dispel the dissonance and the absurdist within. Eventually I just hit SAVE and shut off the computer. So instead you get Kate & Hulkette's report from the Happy Planet.

Items in no particular order of importance are:

Ted Rall: NYC to GOP: Drop Dead

John Walker: The Musical

DU Syndrome Vets Denied Care

Tom Englehardt - War Words: Who's Writing This Stuff?

From the Christian Science Monitor: A journey into the epicenter of the Sadr standoff

Update: While drifting off to sleep on Sunday I got a memo from purgatory to add a little Macbeth...

"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."