Monday, August 16, 2004

Royalty In All but Their Names

"I need a photo opportunity.
I want a shot at redemption.
Don't wanna end up a cartoon
In a cartoon graveyard."

Paul Simon, "You Can Call Me Al"


Is justice "just ice",
Governed by greed and lust?
Just the strong doin' what they can,
And the weak sufferin' what they must."

Joni Mitchell, "Sex Kills"


I make no bones about my perspectives on the political process, particularly as it is practiced in the US. I'm the ASZ's radical in residence. I think the hallowed politics and government, the evil twins ... the whole thing, all of it would stink in an ice house. So, after my weekend madness passed (the bonkers kind, not the pissed-off kind), I went looking for some examples of the insane system called politics in the US... a system that so many people appear to take in stride, and that I simply cannot abide. And Eureka! I found some, and a theme took shape.

Okay, so maybe the madness has not passed, but I get an "A" for effort. ;-)

Plutocracy. The elephant in the room stinking up the joint to high heaven.

Begin with Mick Youther's little piece at Intervention Magazine: America's Royalty. It's a collection of quotes on the state of the plutocratic State here, with little commentary by Youther. I think you'll get the drift.

Plutocracy

The New American Plutocracy. Which to me sounds just like the "old American Plutocracy". But I digress.

Wealth Condensation, from Wikipedia.

I just wonder how many times the "little people" can hear the liars blather on about campaign finance reform, and transparency in government, and about how they -- the candidates -- are just simple, humble, honest plain folks ... and not grab for their pitchforks and torches when those same liars reneg on all those photo op-time promises after being coronated... one - more - time.

When the outside temperature rises
And the meaning is oh so clear
One thousand and one yellow daffodils
Begin to dance in front of you - oh dear
Are they trying to tell you something ?
You're missing that one final screw
You're simply not in the pink my dear
To be honest you haven't got a clue
I'm going slightly mad
I'm going slightly mad
It finally happened - happened
It finally happened - ooh woh
It finally happened - I'm slightly mad - oh dear !
Ha ha ha ha ha!!

Queen


Your bonus link for this afternoon is an interview with George Lakoff, author of Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think, at Intervention Magazine. Framing our values: the potency of language in politics