Friday, August 13, 2004

All the President's Spin

Last night, I noticed a flurry of hits on ASZ around 11PM from Google and Yahoo. The search terms were "all the presidents spin", and I wondered what was going on. My guess? One of the authors of the new book, "All The President's Spin" was on one of the TV shows around that time (Jon Stewart, possibly?).

Anyway, curiosity led me to the book, and it looks like a winner. I've already ordered it. I'm hoping that it answers some of my burning questions about how the media, with few exceptions, have handled the Bush administration so softly. Here's some details on the book:

All the President's Spin, the first book from the editors of the acclaimed nonpartisan website Spinsanity, unmasks the tactics of deception and media manipulation that George W. Bush has used to sell his agenda to the American people.

From his campaigns for tax cuts to the debate over war in Iraq, President Bush has employed an unprecedented onslaught of half-truths and strategically ambiguous language to twist and distort the facts. Fritz, Keefer, and Nyhan's powerful critique of Bush's record of policy deception explains why the media has failed to hold him accountable and demonstrates the threat these tactics pose to honest political debate.
Here's a link to an excerpt from the book. Check it out.