Monday, August 30, 2004

Perpetual War

...or, "How I learned to Live with Diminished Expectations"...

Sept. 17, 2001:

But as the vice president said, you know, "Osama bin Laden is just one person." He is representative of networks of people who absolutely have made their cause to defeat the freedoms that we take -- that we understand, and we will not allow them to do so.

I want justice. And there's an old poster out west, that I recall, that said, "Wanted, Dead or Alive." I think that this is a long-term battle -- war. There will be battles, but this is long term. After all, our mission is not just Osama bin Laden, Al Qaeda organization. Our mission is to battle terrorism and to join with freedom-loving people.

October 29, 2001:

We are at the beginning of what I view as a very long struggle against evil. We're not fighting a nation; we're not fighting a religion; we're fighting evil. And we have no choice but to prevail. We're fighting people that hates our values, they can't stand what America stands for. And they really don't like the fact that we exist. And I want to assure you all that we will fight this fight on every front. We will use every resource we have. And there is no doubt in my time -- in my mind -- that in our time, we will prevail. There's no doubt.

August 30, 2004:

When asked "Can we win?" the war on terror, Bush said, "I don't think you can win it."